One of our assignments for this class was to follow two blogs written by librarians or information specialists. This wasn't a particularly onerous activity for me as I am a voracious blog consumer. I have been following Confessions of a Science Librarian for the past couple of years. Our instructor provided us with a list of blogs but unfortunately, it was horribly out of date and many of the blogs listed were inactive. I went on a search for another librarian blogger and I discovered The Annoyed Librarian. The Annoyed Librarian was a nice addition to my Feedly list and she gives a perspective that I might not otherwise have been exposed to. Both authors have unique outlooks on the industry and the issues that interest them. Both blogs appeal to readers outside of the LIS profession. I would recommend anyone who likes to have a broad background in whatever is going on in the world today to check them out.
And now, on to the blogs!
John Dupis is a Science & Engineering librarian at the Steacie Science & Engineering Library at York University in Toronto. He has been blogging for several years now and is currently hosted by ScienceBlogs. His topics range from reading lists specific to his subject matter, book reviews, interviews with library policy movers and shakers, links to lists of other library based articles that are interesting and pertinent, and on Fridays, some basic reference librarian fun. Because Dupis is from Canada he deals mainly with Canadian library policy and issues facing his country's library system but much of his commentary is applicable outside of Canada. ScienceBlogs itself is a find as they have some Very Smart Persons (VSP) blogging for them. Its definitely worth the time to check them out.
There isn't much information out there about the Annoyed Librarian however, her tag line of "Whatever it is, I'm against it" had me hooked from the start. All we know about the Annoyed Librarian is that she is "possibly the most successful, respected, and desirable librarian of her generation." and that she blogs at Library Journal which of course gives her street cred. She takes a no-nonsense approach to an industry that is sometimes hung up on trying to maintain its relevance in a changing information landscape. Combine it with the fact that she has haters means that its just the sort of blog that I enjoy reading. The Annoyed Librarian covers trends in employment, she provides her own brand of snark and insight to other library news, discusses policy silliness in libraries and a whole host of other topics that get her dander up. There are many who will not like her. Her tone is often irreverent. There are those she will upset. This blog is not for everyone but I'm glad to see a library blog that is not 100% "Yippee for us we're librarians!" Her snark is refreshing. Her most current post provides a sarcastic yet insightful look into how difficult it is to define what a library is and what it does. If you have the stomach for sarcasm and aren't too upset by a librarian who isn't tickled pink by e-book publishers go check her out.
Next time I'll be taking a look back at one of my earlier posts in preparation for wrapping up the semester.
No comments:
Post a Comment