Back in The Job Search (Part 1) I laid out two of my "dream jobs." Now, I'd like to take a little time to muse on what I need to get where I'd like to go. The job with the Air Force would take the most work. In addition to my MLIS studies I would need to focus heavily on computer programming and security. I already have an understanding of database systems and how they work. I have a natural inclination towards programming and information structures. In order to be truly qualified I would likely need to look outside of my MLIS program in order to obtain the proper background in computer security. I still believe the MLIS degree would provide a helpful background for this position insofar as I continue to focus on digital content and information management.
The second of the two jobs, the one with Haynes and Boone, would be the easy path. I'm already quite proficient with Microsoft Excel. I love manipulating data and pulling insights out of seemingly unrelated bits of information. I'm already an experienced researcher. Much of what would be required from me at a position like this is what I already do. The difference is Haynes and Boone requires an MLIS degree.
So if this is the line of work I want to do am I on the path that I need to be on?
Well sort of. The Airforce job would require me to do far more in the computer programming side. I would absolutely enjoy it, but its a little outside of the realm of my MLIS studies. The Haynes and Boone position is very similar to the sort of work I already do and have done in the past. Rather than a question of "Am I on the right path?" I'm running into a "Is this what I really want?" The answer to the second questions is a tentative "Not really . . . " It seems a third path may be calling my name. I think I'll address the appearance of this third path in my next post when I take a look at my first semester from the vantage point of the halfway mark.
No comments:
Post a Comment