Friday, February 21, 2014

The Job Search (Part 1)

The job search front has taken a more important place in my brain these days. A few weeks ago I was laid off from my job. They recalled me two weeks later but at only half of the hours. I’ve known since the beginning that I wanted to work more in the “information” side of my MLIS so I’ve been looking closer at information related jobs. I have a strong desire to work as a government contractor. I think that civil service is important and the stability appeals to me. One job I came across that would be a “dream job” is with the Department of the Air Force. The posting  is for Information Technology Management (Information Security). Essentially, it would be IT security. The posting specifically lists graduate work in information science as a requirement. To qualify for such a job I will need to get more in depth with my training in computer systems but if my scripting class is any indication, I have an untapped talent for such things. I don’t know why I haven’t been focusing on programming since the beginning of my educational career. It comes easily, its fun, and its incredibly marketable. I love the thought of being an information specialist for the government. It makes me think of women in smart suits compiling reports that aid the military in protecting our country.

The second posting that caught my eye is a “Competitive Intelligence Specialist” with Haynes and Boone out of Dallas. Haynes and Boone is a large law firm that specializes in a variety of areas. This specific posting   is a research based job. The qualified applicant has a degree in Library and Information Science and is experienced at in-depth research and reporting. This job is something I could get right out of this program. Unlike the other position, I already possess the skills required. I spend quite a bit of time with Microsoft Excel and manipulate data as a hobby.


Without the MLIS, I don’t qualify for either of these postings. My background is in digital content, research, and metadata. The MLIS is going to give me the additional knowledge and experience to put me on the path to more challenging and more financially lucrative positions. I still believe I’ve made the correct choice in a graduate program.  

No comments:

Post a Comment